In the modern world where having a good physique has become a trend, people often ignore the term ‘Oral Hygiene’. Most people do not realize this but oral hygiene is the most important aspect of our overall health. Right from waking up in the morning, to having our last meal of the day, the oral hygiene never gets out of action.
Oral Hygiene basically means cleaning your mouth and teeth by regular brushing and going for dental checkups. Oral hygiene is important in order to prevent your teeth from problems like tooth decay, gum problems and even heart related problems.
Why is it so Important To Maintain Oral Hygiene?
Good oral hygiene is directly related to your overall health. Not taking care of your dental health can cause problems like cavities, gum bleeding, bad breath etc. Though natural defenses like brushing and flossing keep the bacterias under control yet maintaining proper oral hygiene can never go out of the picture. Poor dental hygiene may also affect areas outside your mouth such as lungs and heart and cause issues like diabetes, chronic inflammation, arthritis etc.
Medical professionals state that the bacterias of gum diseases might reach your heart causing heart-related problems. Even gum problems are related with problems like premature births and low-weight birth in pregnant ladies. This is how dangerous it can be for you to not maintain good oral hygiene.
Best Practices For Oral Hygiene
Now, that you know how risky maintaining a poor oral hygiene can be, let’s read about some of the basic practices that can help you maintain a good dental/ oral hygiene-
- Brush at least twice a day for two minutes with fluoride toothpaste. Brushing with a soft-bristled brush is to be kept in mind while changing it after every 3 months. Do not forget your tongue while brushing. Plague can catch your tongue, so do not hesitate using a light brush on your tongue.
- Floss twice a day. Flossing is as important as brushing is. Though it can be a bit problematic activity, especially for children, one must not stop it.
- Visiting your dentist every six months is another most important point. You can give your best to maintain proper dental hygiene yet nothing can compromise the decision of visiting a dentist. A dentist will not only do cleanings but may also be able to track potential issues that you might not spot.
- Limit alcohol consumption and smoking.
- Reduce your sugar intake. Sugar generally converts into acid in the mouth which then crumbles the enamel of your teeth.
- People generally skip using mouthwash but it is indeed an important part. Using mouthwash helps reduce acid in your mouth and remineralize your teeth.
- Oil pulling is another very effective activity you can practice on a daily basis. Oil pulling basically means swishing oil- coconut or olive oil, around in your mouth for 15-20 minutes. This may help strengthen your teeth, relax gum sores and keep your mouth healthy.
- Using teeth whitening kits for brighter teeth. Who wants to go to the workplace with dull yellow teeth? Nobody. You can have the best at home teeth whitening kits that can help you get shiny teeth worth of a magazine shoot.
- Drink plenty of water. Water is the best source of cleanliness for our bodies. Having lots of water will help take out all the remaining particles in your teeth.
- Try eating fresh veggies and fruits. Although that apple in your refrigerator is good to eat, choosing fresh fruits is healthy for your teeth. Milk products are also quite beneficial as they contain calcium and phosphate which is generally good for dental care.